Saturday, March 21, 2009

Daily Chatterings: Sunday, March 22nd 2009

THE BIG CHATTER:
The Working Families Party, the group that taught me almost everything I know about grassroots organizing and the group that David Sirota called,
The one uprising model with the most potential to convert all the populist anger and frustration into functioning political and legislative authority.

They put together one heck of a demonstration in CT. It got all kinds of press, and ran on the MSM networks a ton. Well done fellas.

SOME OTHER CHATTERINGS:
As I had predicted, Karl Rove was unable to talk about anything that doesn't involve the word deficit. And rather than just ignoring the blatant hypocrisy of talking down to anyone on fiscal irresponsibility, he actually attempted to defend the Bush Administration's record on the economy.

You gotta love CNN for this. Here are two titles for stories, labeled one after the next under CNN's latest news column:
Obama aide sees economy growing by 2010
Ticker: Ex-Obama pick warns of fiscal 'crash
So, either the economy is about to pick up again, or it's about to crash even worse. Flippin' fantastic, thanks for the help guys.

THIS AIN'T NO CHATTER:
(This was written on March 21st)
I just got back from the anti-war march on the Pentagon. I have lots and lots of pictures. But first, I need to do a little rant.

To preface this rant, my parents met while organizing against the Vietnam war. I grew up with stories of foots soldiers in the streets, armed with nothing but their voices. And stories of protests breaking out into riots. My father was even arrested a couple times. However, one of those times, a civilian clothed cop came up to a line and started grabbing people. He never revealed himself as a cop, so the protesters obviously resisted. Cops came out of the woodworks, beat the crap out of a lot of them, and arrested a lot of them. He also told me stories of civilian clothed cops throwing rocks at the police line to start a disturbance. And when those ridiculous yellow hard hat thugs viciously attacked protesters, cops were not there to protect them. All of this is to say, that I have no problem whatsoever with standing up to authority figures when they are in the wrong.

Today was a different story. I did not take kindly to people yelling at the officers at today's march, as if they were our enemy. I have found, through many protests these days, that the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of police officers are decent people. And when these decent people show up to control a protest, they are there to protect the protesters just as much as anyone or anything else. I have never feared an incident like the yellow hard hats at any protest I have been to, because of the police officers there.

Anywho, my rant is done. For the most part, this was a well intentioned, peaceful demonstration against war and war profiteering. There were moving speakers, passionate attendees, and beautiful weather.

YOUR DAILY VIDEO TO CHAT ABOUT:


Anything I'm missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment